We were particularly taken by the Algoryn paint scheme from Matt Houghton of Evil Bear Wargames (external, Facebook) so we asked him for a few words about the project.
The Salish Sun Breathers Tribe
Matt: Beyond the Gates of Antares had been on my radar for a while – Warlord’s Algoryn minis hit me as a nice alternative power armoured race – and the lizard like heads was a bonus, I could imagine these guys going around very warlike yet tactical, kind of like Klingons with brains!
I was impressed with the miniatures – they were chunky – my eyes are old and my hands are like clubs, so they made a really nice change from the intricate skinny modern stuff I normally have the pleasure of working with.
Building them, I mounted the models on 25mm laser cut wood bases – including the drone, to keep things uniform.
After asking a few questions on the Gates of Antares facebook page, I decided to go for a high tech paint scheme – but trying keeping it slightly tribal feel. After undercoating them (I tried black and white undercoats, but it made little difference on the final outcome) I then sprayed the main colour yellow – well it’s not really yellow – it’s actually Filler primer! It’s like an undercoat that’s a dull yellow!
I painted the heads separately – they were undercoated and sprayed Army painter red. I then picked out some areas in black – then the entire model was dry-brushed with an off-white colour, and the red areas were then lightly brushed over with an orange.
The entire model then got a wash of earth shade mixed with a medium, and the skin received my standard treatment – but I used a camo shade of green ink to wash the face and give it a slightly different alien tint.
Plants on the bases were herbs from my good lady’s herb selection, I often look at these thinking how to use them when I’m meant to be helping in the kitchen, and finally all that help paid off!
Once the minis where sprayed with matt varnish I went over glowing areas and the plants with a brush of gloss varnish.
The infiltrators are mostly black; I wanted to go for the look of the alien raiders from Britain’s toys that I collected as a small child in the early 1980s.
The assault guys I wanted to look like bruisers so added black in places that I wanted to emphasize their bulk and brutality.
Overall, the paint scheme was very quick and simple to do – and I’m very happy with the results. It was the best part of a week’s work in between jobs!