Andrés Amián’s Concord army

Andrés Amiáns Concord Force

In 2015, our resident paint specialist Andrés Amián took us through his Concord army to show just how easy it is to achieve a battlefield ready army in next-to no time!

The whole section had received huge quantities of encrypted data from the High Command ship in orbit around the desert planet. Orders, as always, were clear – but not the outcome. ‘Clear the enemy positions in the valley and take control of the Transmat Station they are using to bring more reinforcements’.

On the ground, plasma charges fly in all directions and the explosions make the temperature rise even further. The reinforcements experience the same problems with the armour temperature controllers as the first wave of troops. Clouds of drones pour fire into the enemy while others transmit the coordinates of enemy squad they find. X-launchers cover the advance of the avant-garde.

Running into the open, the first squads make contact. With them come the first casualties and what some call the path to glory. For those stuck in the blistering heat, the glory is hard to come by…

Andrés Amiáns Concord Force
Andrés Amiáns Concord Force

Andrés: Having painted the majority of the studio miniatures for Beyond the Gates of Antares, I thought about choosing my own army. I had to take into account one small detail – after the whole day painting in the studio I would need something easy and fast to paint, and yet something about which I could say “Look – I have a painted army!!” with pride. So I thought it made sense to paint a Concord army.

Andrés Amiáns Concord Command
Andrés Amiáns Concord Command

I decided to choose a bright colour scheme for them, so orange it was! Orange for most of the armour, black for the undersuit and some details of the armour and the weapons; green for the lights, plasma and energy cores.

Andrés' Concord Designer colours
Andrés’ Concord Designer colours

Once the colours were clear I needed to decide how to do it the fastest way, my solution to accomplish the task was this:

Step One

I primed the miniatures with Demonic Yellow spray – the coloured primers from The Army Painter are such a great time-saver that it was a no-brainer to use them on this army. Make sure that you read the instructions on the can before use to achieve the best results!

Step Two

After that I painted all the parts I wanted black. Mainly all the gaps in the armour that showed the undersuit, some shoulder pads, the helmet visor, and the body of the guns.

For the squad leaders I painted the main shell black too, to add a bit of variation and to make them stand out amongst their all-orange men.

I followed a similar method for the drones and X-launcher – black weapons and just a few other details. I took great care not to paint black where I shouldn’t, but when I made a mistake I just retouched it with a bit of yellow with the brush.

Step Three

Now, this was the most important stage – to get that orange colour I used inks. I applied Army Painter Red Tone Ink to all the yellow parts of the miniature. The trick here is to be very fast because, if not, the coverage wouldn’t be clean, and it would show the brush strokes or leave puddles/stains on the big surfaces.

To get that smooth finish I used a big brush and worked on small parts. That way I could wash a shoulder pad first, then the other one, and then I would do the shell, and so on. Working on specific parts would give me that smooth and clean result I was looking for.

I washed the miniatures this way three times – repeated layers meant that the pigment slowly built-up to give a darker colour until I got the orange tone I was happy with.

To speed things along I worked with two squads at the same time – that’s a total of ten miniatures. By the time I finished the tenth one, the red wash was already dry on the first model, so I could start with the second wash, and by following the same logic, the third one too.

Strike Squads and C3D1 drone
Strike Squads and C3D1 drone

Step Four

I then set-about highlighting the black parts – I started with Vallejo German Grey, and after that, Army Painter Uniform Grey on the upper edges and folds.

Step Five

To paint the lights, I used the following process;

– Base coat of Army Painter Angel Green

– Painted half of the lenses with Army Painter Greenskin Green

– A touch of Goblin Green on the lower part of the lenses.

– A final dot of Army Painter Cadaverous Green in the lower part of the lenses.

– A white dot on the top part of the lenses to make it look like the reflection of the natural light on the lenses.

Step Six

I highlighted the helmet visor in the same way as I did with the lights, but using black and greys instead.

Step Seven

I gave the whole miniature a coat of gloss varnish for protection, followed by a matt varnish coat to matt down the glossy look. I gave the lights and helmet visors a coat of gloss varnish again.


Now I only needed to base them, and that wasn’t difficult at all. I gave the whole base a good coat of white glue/PVA. I covered it with my mixture of sand and gravel. Once dry I painted it with a very watered down Vallejo Charred Brown, and when it was completely dry I gave it a Vallejo Brown Khaki drybrush. I finally added some straw-like grass and tufts and that was it – the whole force was finished!

Andrés' C3D1 with lenses
Andrés’ C3D1 showing lenses

I painted the entire army over the course of two weeks, in occasional one-hour sessions. While some would argue that this is just another fast painted army, I can say I have a painted army to play with, something that would be almost impossible to achieve if I spent three hours per miniature.

%d bloggers like this: